Friday, January 23, 2015

My First Grandchild

Anticipating the future really accomplishes nothing. It either causes tremendous worry or nervous anticipation. The only thing one has control over is the here and now. Most the time, when people think of a first grandchild it is a thing of utter joy. My happiness level is not quite there yet at the thought of Allena providing Bobbi and me a possible grandchild for several reasons.
There are multiple ways the conception process can happen. (None of them appeal to me.) Labor and delivery can be rather painful. (I want her to have no discomfort.) If children get repaid for the treatment they give their parents, then I think Allena have a challenging offspring. (There’s concern on my part of her parenting abilities.)
Let me briefly explain my daughter. As much as I love her, most everybody that meets Allena cherishes her, a friendship with her can be an “acquired taste.” It is much like trying out an exotic food several times to see if you want to add it to your diet. Though the adult Allena is highly intelligent, her life decisions are not always made with all the common sense she possesses.
If Allena should choose to have children one day with that special soul mate (should pray for this person too) she marries, like thousands of parents to precede her she’ll figure out what works best for my grandchild. The nice thing about this experience will be sending the child home if it all gets to be too much (or I need a nap).
As hard as it is at times, try to live every moment to its fullest. Tomorrow may never show up. Enjoy the variety of life. Like a good mixed fruit salad, you are never quite sure what you’ll get. So be prepared for everything.

I simply love this picture taken by Woodward Photographic in November of 2011 when Allena was in tenth grade (fifteen years old).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...