Friday, December 26, 2014

Dorothy’s Ozniack: (An Unfinished Manuscript)

On March 7, 1863, a daughter, Dorothy Ann, was born to St. Louis actors, Jonathan and Millie Gael (Gale). As a sign of love for his new daughter, Jack adopted a black Cairn terrier puppy from the local dog shelter that he named Toto (short for Dorothy). Toto and Dorothy became inseparable, lifelong friends. 
          In 1868, Jonathan divorced Millie, and moved to New York to further his acting career with a merry tiny vaudeville actress named Etta Jewell. In 1875, Millie died of Influenza. Millie’s only sister and brother-in-law, Emma and Henry Gulch of Zeandale, Kansas, became the legal guardians of Dorothy and Toto (both were twelve at this time).
          The same year Dorothy arrived in Zeandale, she began having her Oz dreams on her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry’s farm. Later in her seventies, she verbally told all those stories to her only child, Carol Gattirez.  At the age of 80, Old Dot (or Dotty) was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, and placed in the Rose Lawn Nursing Home in Manhattan, Kansas. Five years later Dotty passed away. This Ozniack (Oz for journal) found in her room. It covers the dates of September 1875 to September 1876.

September 1, 1875
Dear Journal,
          When my dog, Toto, and I arrived in Manhattan, Kansas, from St. Louis, Missouri, by train no one showed up immediately to pick us up. Had Aunt Em and Uncle Henry forgotten to pick us up? Eventually, a kind woman of tall stature named Miss Ellen Parker showed up in her carriage to take us all to the Gulches home out east in Zeandale, Kansas.
          We ate apples, fried chicken and cold dumplings on white china plates at the train station. Our carriage ride to the Gulches went quickly with my full stomach, all the talk, and the short nap I took.  According to the watch around Miss Ellen’s neck it was 1:00 in the afternoon when I woke up as we arrived at 69 Emerald Lane in the country. The cottage before my eyes was small and dreary looking. The landscape around me was dry, burnt grayish-brown, and flat.
          A thin, tan woman with my mother’s eyes (clothed in a grey dress with her grey hair in a bun) arrived at the carriage. She looked tired, nervous, and lacked momma’s eye twinkle as she introduced herself as my Aunty Em. She had changed so much for the worse, when momma and I had visited her two years ago. (I was ten then.) Soon a man with plastered hair, a long uneven beard in a filthy striped shirt showed up. Uncle Henry’s bright smile could not cover up the slight smell of manure that clung to his skin. I hugged both of them as we said goodbye to Miss Elloen, picked up our luggage and went inside the house (after putting Toto in the barn).
          The inside of the one common room Uncle Henry and Aunty Em called home did not have the charm of our St Louis apartment above the theater. In one corner was what appeared to be a kitchen (with a black cast iron stove, tables and chairs), the other corner had a curtained off area with a bed and mattress. In the furthest corner was a bed with a straw-filled mattress for me to sleep on. The outhouse (or privy) was between the house and barn outside. Dinner that night was runny beans and old crusty bread. I hated here so far. I wanted my old life back. Why did momma have to die, and papa have to leave me? I will write more soon as you, journal, are my only true friend right now.
Dorothy G.

September 7, 1875
Dear Journal,
          As I sat in school today, I was having difficulty keeping my mind on my studies. Our substitute teacher had the strange name of Baum. I kept thinking of momma and papa, and how much I miss them both.
          His dark brown hair and beard perfectly matched his kind eyes. The sweet smell of the smoke from his pipe will always be a favored memory of him. He loved to perform on the stage of the theater he owned. He had the gift of making people laugh, cry, or get angry as he willed with only the movement of his face. Did he leave because I did something wrong to make him not love us anymore?
          Before momma got sick, her perfume reminded me of roses and when she sang, I was happy and I knew for sure she loved us. Her blond hair glowed and her blue eyes sparkled when all was right as it should be in the world. I loved her hot oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins on a cold morning. When I was nine, she bought me a sparkly white dress to wear to papa’s theater.
I wore that dress until it I grew out of it. Before Momma died she made me promise to be good for her sister. She promised to always watch over and protect us. The school day has passed in the midst of my daydreaming, and my brother and I can finally go home to the new place we now call home.
Dorothy G.

September 10, 1875
Dear Journal,
          Something awful happened this morning before I left for school. I went out to the barn to feed Toto dead. Uncle Henry thinks my beloved dog died from old age at eighty-four. In human years, he was twelve just like me. The two of us quickly buried him next to Aunty Em’s previous dog, Rob Roy.
          I’m not quite sure how I will make it without my furry friend and protector who always adored me no matter what my mood was. We grew up together as the best of friends. When I slept at night, Toto was always next to me. When bad dreams sometimes scared me in the middle of the night, a pat on the back or scratch behind his ears would assure me all would be well.
When momma died and we traveled to here, Toto was the one thing that kept my world all right. How will things ever be the same without my wonderful dog?
          Dorothy G.



September 24, 1875
Dear Journal,
          I think maybe something good happened today though it was embarrassing. Before momma died, she tried her best to tell me that soon I would be entering womanhood where my body could make babies. She said some women called it the curse or Mother Nature’s monthly gift. With her as ill as she was, I heard little of what she said. (Papa had already left by then.)
          At lunch as I sat at my desk to eat the lunch Aunty Em packed me, I felt dampness soak my undergarments and dress. I looked down, and it was blood. I told Mr. Baum I thought I should go home. He agreed.
          When I got inside the house and Aunty Em saw my stained clothes, she immediately hugged me and kissed me several times on my forehead, and kept telling me what an important day this was before we went to change my undergarment, clothing and wipe me off.
          After all this was done, Aunty Em assured me my momma would be proud of me for entering womanhood. She explained to me what my body was doing and showed me how to prepare for my time every month. I felt confident I could do this by myself every month.
Dorothy G.
         


October 13, 1875
Dear Journal,
          I believe I had a wonderful dream last night of a magical, colorful, far away land called Oz. It all seemed so real. In the dream, I was seven with pigtails, living here, and in my favorite blue-gingham dress. Oh joy, my true friend, Toto was happy, alive, and with me. (He would have been 49 in dog years.)
          A cyclone took me, Toto, and the Gulch’s house to Oz. Uncle Henry and Aunty Em were in the cyclone cellar that was beneath the trap door in the house. Toto and I huddled together on my bed where we both fell asleep (after I grabbed Toto out from underneath my bed) since I could not get to the to the cyclone cellar
Dorothy G.
         






No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...