Thursday, September 17, 2020

Sociologists Say

“Sociologists say it’s common for people to perceive that God is like the fatherly figures in their lives. If dad is caring, patient and concerned then children will believe God has those same characteristics. And the opposite holds true when a father is harsh, judgmental, or absent.” (Leah Misch, Washington Times)

Males are complicated creatures (whether females believe it or not). Some males are readily visible (or vocal) with how they feel. For others, it may take some investigating to find out what’s below the surface of how they feel. For most men that are fathers (like me), fatherhood is an important part of their life, and is not taken on a surface level. My daughter, Allena, has stirred up more emotions in me than I felt were ever possible in this stage of my manhood.

Let me ask you an important question (no matter whether you are male or female): “What was your relationship like with the man you recognized as your father?” Was it a blessing to you, or a burden to your development as a human being? When you think of your relationship to your heavenly Father,  are the two almost identical? Chances are they mirror each other.

That’s a scary thought to me. I am willing to admit as a father that I have not always been the loving Christ-like example that I needed to be. Adjectives that have been descriptive of my emotions (past and present) are sullen, angry, and vindictive. Hopefully, anything good my daughter got from me; Jesus was part of it. 

As her father, I want Allena’s relationship with God to be stronger (and more intimate) than mine is. Fathers, if a child’s viewpoint of God is based on how they see you. Fathers, what divine message are you giving them, and will they be a stumbling block or a source of hope for the rest of their life? It is never to late to make changes in you (if it needs to happen).[i]


[i] This post is dedicated to my own father, Robert E. Kinker, pictured below with my mother (as dating teenagers).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...