Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Answer

But keep the Lord Christ holy in your hearts. Always be ready to answer everyone who asks you to explain about the hope you have.”  (1 Peter 3:15, ERV)

Christian testimonies are the stories told by believers about what God has done and (is doing) in their lives. Why do Christian stories and testimony matter? Your experience with God as a believer is exactly that-your experience with God. We are unique, but we have the common bond of being created by the same God.  

My experience with God happens within my lifetime. It happens only once to me. God has put me here in this place and time in order to tell others about what He has done and is doing in my life. Whatever you're going through, whether it's joyful or painful, is allowed into your life by a loving God, whose goal for you is to become like His Son, Jesus Christ.

Because God wants to transform you, He allowed your life to follow the path it did before you became a believer in order that you would recognize His work at some point along the way. Now, seeing it you are responsible to tell others what He has done. That is your Christian testimony. You are an eyewitness to the works of Jesus Christ in your life.

Has Christ done a work in your life? Then tell someone! It may be just exactly what they need to hear, to give them faith that God can work in their life, too. He doesn't need our help reaching people. However, He does desire it-and that is the greatest Christian testimony of all. God wants you and me to partner with Him in the work He is doing. Won't you tell someone today? Let your life be your Christian testimony. Here are reasons to share your witness:

1.   It creates transparency within the church: The more we’re honest about mistakes we’ve made in the past, the more other people can relate to us. There’s a natural tendency to want to look as perfect as possible on the outside so we hold past mistakes deep within us. Hiding things is a lie that keeps people at arm’s length. Sharing brings them closer into intimate and real conversations.

2.   It glorifies God: My testimony shows that God is greater than my story or my experiences. It’s not really about me. It’s all about God and Him working in me. Sharing my testimony is sharing the Gospel because I’m sharing a story of God’s hope. Here is a warning though. Make sure that your testimony is more than just a story about a changed life. Yes, your life did change for the better, but a person can get a changed life from a personal trainer and dietician.

 
Even an unbeliever can have a story about a time when they arrived at a destination despite obstacles. A Christian testimony is focused on a Person that interrupted our selfish rebellion. He is a Light that helped us to see the error of our ways. A testimony is not a Christian testimony unless it includes repentance and a desire to work for God and see things His way for the rest of your life. This is what glorifies God and makes Him smile.

3.   It removes fear and gives courage: In speaking about what God has done in my life, I am also remembering all of God’s goodness. When I recount what He has done in the past, it gives me even more faith and courage for present living. When the Israelites remembered all that God had done in the past when He brought them out of Egypt, they had courage to continue onward into the Promised Land.

When Jesus’ disciples thought back on all He had taught them, they were able to spread Jesus’ Way to more and more people. Remembering their life before Jesus and comparing it to their lives after knowing Jesus spurred them on.

4.   People love to hear stories (both believers and unbelievers): A testimony is a story and we all love stories. We go to the movies, we watch television, and we read books to hear about great stories. Stories can give us experiences to imitate. They can show us people to relate to and root for. They also give us the opportunity to see from another person’s point of view. We long to see superheroes saving people.

We enjoy seeing two people find each other and fall in love. We watch people go to other countries and have different experiences. We even find it interesting to see someone’s adventures in space or on another planet. Yes, stories help us see beyond our own little world.

5.   Unbelievers will have a hard time disputing what you say is your story: Unbelievers sometimes work overtime trying to argue the facts of the Bible. Documentaries and theories are created to try to explain away the obvious Creator that is vividly shown in creation (the earth). They can come up with ideas that sound plausible, but they can’t argue with someone’s story of an experience they had in their life. Either they believe it, or they don’t, but they can’t argue with it. If your story shows a living and active God that cares for people, they just might want to believe it.

 
6.   You become a resource for others: Stories about how God has worked in my past helps me to encourage others who may be going through something similar now. They see in me the hope that they long to have. They feel a connection with me. Then I’m able to help them carry their baggage because I’ve already walked through a similar problem. Your story can be a key to unlock someone else’s prison. God uses people as His hands and feet.

 

7.   You deliver more testimonies as God continues His work in you: As God teaches me more and more, I will gain other testimonies besides my initial salvation one. As I apply God’s Truth to my life, I will have many more testimonies about Him. God is working within me every day and slowly changing me to be more like Him in the fruit of the Spirit—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

 
My full testimony doesn’t end until I exit this earthly life. So, I desire to share it all—every single way that I see God active in my life. The Apostle Paul reiterates this in Philippians 1:12 when he says that he wants you to know that everything that has happened to him has helped him to spread the Word of God.

8.   You keep your initial salvation testimony alive in your mind: The more I tell my story of my initial meeting with Christ, the more I keep that first love feeling alive. Revelation 2 tells me that it’s possible for me to do good work, have patient endurance, not tolerate evil, and even suffer for my faith in Christ and yet still be missing something if I’ve lost my first love.

The love of Christ should be my motive for doing good works and pressing on in the faith. Me speaking often about my salvation experience keeps that first love feeling alive. I remember when I first really loved God and why.

9.   Your story is unique (even if you don’t think so): There is a specific time when you first realized your need of a Savior. It could be a memorable day or simply a certain expanse of time in your life. Think back. When was it for you? Were you addicted to drugs or alcohol and found a Savior who helped you to break free? Were you severely depressed and found a Savior who gave you hope to continue onward? Did you get in trouble with the law and then realize just how much you had messed your life up?

Did you miss out on some seemingly wonderful opportunity but then realized that things would work out okay anyway because there is a God that loved you? At some point, you realized that life wasn’t working out so well when you were running it on your own and you needed help. People can usually run their lives okay when things are going well but when the inevitable problems happen we need help to see another perspective.

Your testimony may have been extreme and radical, or it might have been a calm profession of true belief. Both testimonies depict God’s love and mercy because all (both loud and quiet sinners) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

 “Your ministry is found where you’ve been broken. Your testimony is found where you’ve been restored.” (Anonymous)[i]

 


[i] Sources used:
·        “10 Reasons to Share Your Testimony” by Jennifer Heeren

·        “Christian Testimonies” by All about God

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...