Monday, April 1, 2019

Christian

“I am a gay, Christian, farm girl from Kansas who sang country music and I did the very best I could do to know God and to share God.” (Chely Wright)

Dear Church People,

I am a Christian male that was raised in a religious home. My father was a pastor. I was taught to love and serve the Lord. I have done this all my life. My relationship with God has never been stronger. I am more thankful than ever for the salvation that I have through Jesus Christ. I know what repentance and forgiveness are.

I am also a homosexual that has had a difficult journey in life. I have tried many times to deny my acceptance of my sexual orientation. Many nights have ended with tear-stained pillows as I have pleaded with God to release me from the pain I have experienced through this. My heavenly Father has remained faithful through all of this. He has continued to let me know each and every day how much He loves me.

I also believe that it is God’s plan for all of us to be loved. Homosexuality is not a choice. It is an orientation. It is no different than eye-color, or being right-handed or left-handed. My sexuality is a gift from God and I believe that He intends for me to rejoice in the love of another in a lifelong, monogamous relationship.

The Bible needs to be read in the context in which it was written. Biblical scholars have determined that St. Paul’s references to homosexuality has to do with the sale of young men for the purposes of prostitution in the temple, and has nothing to do with same sex relationships as we know them today. We cannot use the Bible as a weapon to propagate our own political or social views. Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. He did however admonish us to love one another.

Be aware that being a homosexual can be lonely at times. People can inflict lots of pain with their narrow-minded opinions of homosexuality. Your comments can do more harm than good to the Christian church. The world hears your message and the church and Christians are seen as being judgmental and intolerant of others. This is not the message Jesus came to bring. His message of forgiveness, acceptance, and grace is what should be demonstrated to the world. I am trying to do my best with the gifts God has given me. I don’t need fellow-Christians condemning me for something that is as natural to me as breathing.

A Brother in Christ

 “Tell me: When God looks at a gay person, does He endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person? We must always consider the person.” (Pope Francis)[i]



[i] Adapted from: “Letter from a Gay Christian” by RfA

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...