Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Brought Up

“Your siblings are the only people in the world who know what it's like to have been brought up the way you were.” (Betsy Cohen)

Dearest Sibling,

Thanks to our parents, one day I was blessed with you. The older sibling normally says, “I’m older, so I am smartest.” To which the youngest would reply, “I’m younger, so I’m the favorite and cutes.” The world as we so knew it was about to change forever. Quite frankly, I was 100% happy with the world that I previously knew. What I didn’t know is that my childhood opponent would become my best friend in my later years.

You have shown me the meaning of loyalty. No matter what, even you will always be there for me. If I’m in trouble, you are the first one to my defense, which typically ends up in us both being in trouble. Siblings will keep secrets.
 
You choose to be my forever friend. While friends are a choice, siblings are not. Guess what? You’re stuck with me forever. Even though you can’t choose your siblings, you know you would’ve chosen them anyways. They are immediately there for you no matter what you need whether it’s a hug, a shoulder to cry on, or laughs.  Thank you for always understanding me even when it was a struggle.

You’ve been there with me through everything. You know me just as well as you know yourself, and even better than I know myself. You are that person that I can call on when my world is crumbling underneath me. You pass no judgment on me. You love me for who I am. Because of that, I am forever grateful for you.

Siblings are God’s greatest gifts. I may not say it often, but I love you. Life without you would be unimaginable. Appreciative doesn’t begin to describe how thankful I am for you. I’m so glad our parents thought they needed more children. Some of my best memories are with my siblings. You have played a significant role in the person I have become today. All I can hope is that you know that.

Love,

Your Favorite Sibling

 “I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, [and] gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.” (Maya Angelou)[i]

 


[i] Adapted from:  “An Open Letter to My Siblings” by Shyann Nicole Vaught
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...