Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Question

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'” (Martin Luther King, Jr. )

Though I am social in groups of people, I am a loner at heart. I enjoy my times of solitude to do the things that are important to me (like writing for this blog). I know it’s time to connect with other people when I start questioning my purpose for being here on Earth. For me (most the time), being around other people puts my mood in a much better place.

A benefit of being around other people is the opportunity to serve them. You forget your own problems as you realize that possibly others are dealing with a lot more than you are. As much as I might like to think I can do my life by myself, it’s just not possible. People need the socialization of other people (no matter how that happens).

If you’re a loner (like me), the only way you (or I) will ever feel more comfortable around people, is to be around them frequently. 1 Romans 12:16 (ERV) gives this advice about the benefits of being connected in community with others: Live together in peace with each other. Don’t be proud, but be willing to be friends with people who are not important to others. Don’t think of yourself as smarter than everyone else.” Being around others can be the best thing that ever happened to you. Just give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...