Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Shepherds

The church is not a campus but a community. Pastors are not [chief executive officers] CEOs. They are shepherds.” (Dillon Burroughs)

Let’s be honest with each other. We all make assumptions (major or minor) about other human beings. Assumptions can be on almost anything. As perfect as I might like to believe I am, as a skinner older man (due to bariatric surgery); I have to be cautious not to make assumptions on the character of larger people.

Philippians 2:3 (TPT) tells us all how to act in the area of making assumptions about other people. (This is great biblical advice I need to follow, too). Be free from pride-filled opinions, for they will only harm your cherished unity. Don’t allow self-promotion to hide in your hearts, but in authentic humility put others first and view others as more important than yourselves.”

If I had to pick one profession that is full of assumptions, it would be that of a pastor. I believe this is a calling from God (that not everyone can do). Over the years I can’t tell you the number of times people I have met that believe I am a pastor (or should be training to be one). I want less drama in my life at my current age. Can you just imagine a church with me in charge of it? The thought gives me a headache. Growing up my family was charter members of my childhood church. My parents, siblings, and I got to know the pastor (and his family) on a much more personal, intimate level(the Dinoffs of Fellowship Baptist Church, Columbus, OH) than most of the congregation did.

This is a job for those who want to be difference makers. Unfortunately, people can be critical of leaders and their families). Though the pastor and his family are fallible humans, people can sometimes have perfection expectations that don’t allow for a lot of grace (at times). Being a pastor of a church (large or small) comes with duties like delegating responsibility, making sure events are run in a timely and in an efficient manner, and dealing with the life events and fluctuating emotions of a congregation.

If you have a regular church you attend, do me a favor. Be an encourager to your pastor (instead of an enemy). Let him know you care about him, and support all the good he is trying to do for your church community. He will appreciate it (for sure).[i]



[i] This post is dedicated to my own pastor, Dave Jansen of CenterPoint Church Gahanna in Gahanna, Oh.
 
 
My pastor, Dave Jansen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...