Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Easy

“People who say weight loss surgery is the easy way out have never had to go through the process.”  (RotteneCards)

If it wasn’t for my wife’s bariatric surgery in August of 2014, and mine in February of 2020, I would have been among the many that believed the above quote. Unfortunately, that opinion is a lie. I can understand at the quick speed (months) the weight is coming off that it would be more natural taking it off by working out in a gym. People (like me) had serious health issues that needed immediate attention (and motivating results).

There are after surgery advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side for both my wife and me, once the weight started coming off the real personality came out. (Imagine a butterfly.) You are shrinking in body size so it is time to go shopping. Both my diabetes and sleep apnea have improved. I’m off many medications and CPAP pressure was reduced from 15 to 8. My knee joint pain is practically non-existent (because of the body weight I have taken off my knees). My equilibrium is much improved. Falling and tripping are a thing of the past.

On the negative side, chances are you will have some loose skin under your clothing. (I have a small chin waddle and the apron area is flabby.) Your feet will shrink. (It’s shoe shopping time.) At restaurants, you may need to explain why you don’t want a beverage. Your stomach dictates your eating regimen. If you eat too fast, too much, or something the stomach doesn’t like, you may experience bariatric vomiting. You will wish to vomit normally, but instead you’ll bring up wads of stringy mucus. (For me this goes on for hours.)

 I do my best to avoid the over full feeling, which is like a stomach cramp). When you see a fat person and know how much the surgery helped you, you tend to want to get them into bariatric surgery soon. ( I hate to admit this, but I can become rather judgmental of fat people now.) I have gone from 320 to under 220. With bariatric surgery your weight fluctuates daily so don’t be discouraged. Laparoscopic surgery will leave four small “battle” scars.

I have had to make changes in my life because I am determined not to go back to where I was. You need to limit (or remove) junk food from your life. (Sugar is as addictive as nicotine.) Drink 64 ounces of water daily. (I use water additives to make it go down easier. Fill a 32 ounce bottle up twice, and drink it and you are done for the day.) I crave water now even after my requirement is met.) Exercise is a big thing so I walk five times a week at an hour at a time on a set path. I listen to e-audiobooks on OverDrive, which makes it go faster. I do it first thing in the morning so I can’t make excuses for not doing it.

You will follow the thirty minute rule. Food and liquids are never eaten again together, but within thirty minutes of each other. (Medication is exempt from this rule.) The reason is that your body is not getting as many nutrients as before with your new stomach. Drinking too soon can wash the nutrients you are getting away. Consuming protein in food (or using powdered protein will now become an important task for you. Almost any protein can be made into yummy “sludge.” With a small amount of cold water, protein can be turned into a thick brownie batter consistency.

If you are planning on doing this surgery, exercising months before it will give quicker healing results after the surgery. (At least that is what happened with me.) Several weeks before the surgery, you’ll be asked to start the Liver Shrinkage Diet, which is rather restrictive. It will help you lose weight plus shrink you liver so it can’t be nicked during surgery. After surgery follow the various diets to eventually eating normal. Your new stomach will tell you what is acceptable. Start the thirty minute rule now.

I eat about a quarter of what I used to consume. Sometimes I longingly wish I could eat a full plate of food, or drink with my meal. At restaurants, I use the to-go boxes a lot, or order from the children’s menu. I don’t desire sugar as much anymore. It doesn’t take a lot of food to keep a human alive. Food is not a pleasurable focus anymore. I don’t crave food all the time. I love to blog to deal with my stress instead of trying to eat it away. (This never works.) I can now look at myself nude in the bathroom mirror, and not be grossed out by what I see looking back at me, which is the best feeling of all. I have absolutely no regrets that I chose bariatric surgery.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...