Friday, September 11, 2020

Circumstances

“God’s plans for your life far exceed the circumstances of your day.” (Louie Giglio)

In mid May of 2009 (I was 45), I knew something was wrong with me when I walked out of my daughter’s violin concert in middle school tired and dizzy (vertigo). In the months to follow, I retired from my 18.5 year career with the federal government. I was full of gratitude for the home, wife (I met there), and daughter that came as a result of my work here in Columbus, OH. With the aid of brain surgery, it was eventually determined  that I had blood cancer (Lymphoma-Leukemia), and not vertigo as was originally thought.

The insurance company approved a second chemotherapy cocktail of MCHOP (Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin, Oncovin, Prednisoneat the James Cancer Hospital Solove Research Institute with Dr. Robert Baiocchi that saved my life. My last of 6 treatments happened in March of 2010. (I have been in remission since then.) I sensed (in the midst of all this) that my heavenly Father was about to take me on a life-changing adventure that I had to find the good in as I experienced my “new normal.” God had not sought my permission for His change, but I wanted to be flexible and positive in all of this (as I knew it would aid my body in its healing process).   
 
I had to keep in mind, Jeremiah 29:11, 13 (ICB): I say this because I know what I have planned for you,” says the Lord. “I have good plans for you. I don’t plan to hurt you. I plan to give you hope and a good future. You will search for me. And when you search for me with all your heart, you will find me.” In the years to follow, I found these positives in all of this challenge.



·        I was able to be there for my daughter, Allena, as she left and returned from school.

·        Our family of three expanded to six with the blessing of our three Chihuahuas: Chico Rosco, and Lola.

·        I wrote the book, Dear God, Please Make Me the Person My Dogs Think I Am: The Chi Lessons.

·        My blog, ENCOURAGE ME, was born.

·        I had more time to do the kind of volunteering I wanted to do.

It’s past time to wrap all of this up. At times I find myself playing the “what if “game. I have an idea how my life might have gone if God had not changed its direction. I sincerely doubt that you would be reading this blog write now. Medical retirement has given me the ability to make it what it needs to be as I continue to obey God’s command to write and encourage as a blogger.

I don’t know what you are dealing with right now. What unique opportunities as God provided you with as a result of where you are right now? Find the positives in it because your heavenly Father will do as He needs to in your life (whether you like it or not). There are always limitless possibilities in your future when you are flexible to His leading.[i]





The Kinker family at the time of my cancer.



 
[i] This wonderful topic was suggested by friend, blog member, and Red Barn Project volunteer, Donna Fox.





 
 
 

Graduation day with my doctor in 2017 (7 years in remission, no more annual visits)

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...