Saturday, September 5, 2020

An Only Child

15 Then everyone who has faith in the Son of Man will have eternal life. 16 God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who has faith in him will have eternal life and never really die. 17 God did not send his Son into the world to condemn its people. He sent him to save them.  (John 3:15-17, CEV)

Joseph registered with Mary because she was engaged to marry him. (Mary was now pregnant.) While Joseph and Mary were in Bethlehem, the time came for her to have the baby. She gave birth to her first son. There were no rooms left in the inn. So she wrapped the baby with cloths and laid him in a box where animals are fed. (Luke 2:5-7, ICB)

Never as long as I live will I comprehend why God would allow His infinite, perfect Son, Jesus, to leave the perfection of Heaven to degrade Himself to become human. Sometimes, people do illogical things when they are in love with someone (at least in the mind of others). I am so glad Jesus was crazy enough to pay my price for my sin.

My twenty-four year-old daughter, Allena, and I are a unique father and daughter that at times have a rather challenging relationship. I’m sure she’ll be happy to know that there is no one I’d be willing to sacrifice her for in love.  The thought of choosing to do that for someone makes sick to my stomach. How did God the Father make that hard decision?

The only thing that any of us can do after receiving such an extravagant gift is to live a life of gratitude to the Giver. Remember, when you serve others with a thankful heart, you are actually showing God how much His gift of eternal life means to you. How can you show your joy to the One who gives joy all year round?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...